Site Administrator Alex Frakt is doubling down on the Defamation/Intimidation/Deception strategy he has employed to block honest posting on the dangers of Buy-and-Hold Investing at the Bogleheads Forum in the wake of the posting of research by Wade Pfau, Associate Professor of Economics at the National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies in Tokyo, Japan, showing that Valuation-Informed Indexing beats Buy-and-Hold in 102 of the rolling 30-year periods while Buy-and-Hold did better in 8 of the periods. Frakt revealed the decision to double down in a recent post put to a discussion-board thread started by Pfau.
Here are Frakt’s words: “We’ve had to remove a couple of comments and posts from this thread regarding Rob Bennett. I have been in contact with the OP offline and he is now fully aware of hocus’ modus operandi, so there is no further need for these posts. Let’s continue to keep this forum a hocus-free zone. P.S. For anyone confused by this message, I’ll suggest googling “hocomania”.”
I sent an e-mail to Vanguard Founder John Bogle on July 30, 2009, asking for his help with this matter. I will send John another e-mail today letting him know about this new development and again imploring his help to get the Bogleheads Forum back on a good and productive and honest and life-affirming track.
In the event that there are newcomers reading these words who can make no sense of the insanity, here are some links that provide some background (without quite being able to make it all seem anything less than 100 percent insanity all the same):
1) Here is my bio:
2) Here is an article at which I quote the comments of 101 of my fellow community members expressing a desire that honest posting on the flaws of the Buy-and-Hold strategy be permitted at the Bogleheads Forum and indeed at all investing boards and blogs on the internet:
3) Here is a blog entry reporting on an interview in which Bogle (Mr. Buy-and-Hold himself!) says that he believes that Valuation-Informed Indexing can work:
4) Here is the blog entry at Pfau’s site describing his preliminary research:
5) Here is my Google Knol explaining the mistake (the Efficient Market Theory) that led people to believe for a time that Buy-and-Hold could work and how the research of Yale Economics Professor Robert Shiller has led us to a better way (if only we could find a way to get the word out to middle-class investors!):
6) Here is my Google Knol explaining how the bull market caused the economic crisis:
7) Here is a Q&A treatment (more concise!) of how Buy-and-Hold caused the economic crisis:
8 ) Here is an article setting forth links to comments by 20 experts illustrating why Buy-and-Hold cannot work and how it caused the crisis:
9) Here is an article setting forth links to 20 studies showing the Buy-and-Hold is dead:
10) Here is the blog entry in which I reported on Wade’s research. There are 71 comments to the blog entry, a good number by several of the internet sewer rats and a good number by Wade in which he indicates uncertainty as to whether he faces greater personal risk by aligning himself with the internet sewer rats (obviously not a good idea in the event that word eventually gets out to middle-class investors about their nine-year-long Campaign of Terror against our board communities) or by aligning himself with those who have expressed a desire that honest posting be permitted (obviously not something that is going to make the internet sewer rats and their supporters in The Stock-Selling Industry happy):
11) Here is a blog entry reporting on an earlier statement by Frakt describing me as “a threat to the [Bogleheads] community” because of my firm opposition to Buy-and-Hold Investing:
12) Here is a blog entry from last week titled “The Mother of Those Two Boys Did Not View Those Death Threats as ‘Alleged.'” One of those cases in which the name says it all, eh?:
We can do better than this, people. A lot better!