Set forth below is the text of a comment that I recently posted to the discussion thread for another blog entry at this site:
So, if we take your comments from here as well as previous comments, here is an overview of what should have happened over the past couple decades if you were never banned from the various financial boards:
1. You would have been one of most popular posters (if not the most popular poster) on all the financial boards.
2. You would become one of the most sought after financial experts quoted by much of the press and would even have generated many front page articles on the New York Times (as well as various multi-series publications).
3. You would have been a headlining speaker at most major financial investing forums and other speaking events.
4. You would have been highly published in various peer-reviewed financial publications.
5. You would have possibly been considered for a Nobel prize.
6. Most people following the investment community would now be following VII, which would then lead to the healing of our economy and would then bring on the biggest economic growth we have ever seen in US history.
7. You would have become one of the most wealthy individuals in the US, resulting from speaking fees, book fees, investment advisory fees, etc.
8. You would be working together on a daily basis with Jack Bogle, Wade Pfau, Robert Shiller and a host of other financial experts, with you taking the leading role.
Did I miss anything?
You missed lots of things:
1) Bogle would be viewed as 20 times the expert that he is perceived to be today because his ideas would actually work in the real world — which is what he intended in the first place.
2) The internet would be a far more powerful communications medium because people who have important things to say about the subjects addressed at the various boards and blogs would feel free to post honestly and Goons like you would be banned when they violated the posting rules.
3) I would be getting feedback from all of the experts in this field and I would be able to use that feedback to sharpen my thoughts and my writings.
4) All of the experts would be getting feedback from me and from other Valuation-Informed Indexers and they too would be able to use the feedback to sharpen their thoughts and writings.
5) You Goons would not be headed to prison.
6) We wouldn’t be seeing the political unrest that we have seen in recent years on both the left and the right because our free market economic system would be delivering on its promises.
7) Support for our free market economic system would be growing because people would see that we have solved the problem of the boom/bust cycle.
8) The Retire Early Movement would be surging forward because we all would be spreading the word about the peer-reviewed research that I co-authored with Wade Pfau showing us all how to retire five to ten years sooner while dramatically reducing the risk associated with stock investing.
I can live with all that, Anonymous.
You can’t. Because you were taken. And because it hurts so much to be taken re a matter so important to your future that you cannot bear to acknowledge the obvious reality.
I am sympathetic. I know you are hurting.
But I am also sympathetic to the situations of the millions of middle-class people who ALSO have been taken in by this massive act of financial fraud. Lots of those people want to turn their financial situations in a more positive direction before it is too late to make changes (after the next price crash hits, most of their life savings will be gone and the Pretend Money is never going to return to them).
Those people have rights. I want to see their rights recognized. I want to see the laws against financial fraud enforced. I want to see you Goons placed in prison cells, where you belong.
I hope that all of that makes good sense to you.
It’s not personal. I do care for you Goons.
But I love my country too. And I want to see us all pulling together to bring this Buy-and-Hold Crisis to a full and complete stop by the close of business today. That’s the bottom line here.
I naturally wish you the best of luck in all your future life endeavors, my long-time Goon friend.